Friday, August 22, 2008

DESTAnation

Fish with salad and fresh injera



Fish with salad and lamb tibs




Vegetarian sampler platter

Desta has become one of my favorite Ethiopian restaurants in Atlanta. Situated at the corner of Clairmont and Briarcliff, it shares the corner with several other restaurants serving Ethiopian food. I found the taste here as well as the service and atmosphere, very pleasing. The wait was also shorter than average for Ethiopian food, which many know can take longer than you ever thought possible (I'm reminded of a now-closed place in Hampton, Virginia where a friend and I waited over an HOUR for lunch to arrive at an Ethiopian restaurant in 2005 - we were the only patrons!).
But the main attraction here is the food: the fish (we learned later it's tilapia) with salad is simply amazing. I have been craving it ever since I tried it the first time. The flavors are pungent yet not overwhelming and the lightness of the fish allows more room to use the spongy injera to soak up the juices from the meat and from the delicious salad. The lamb dish we tried was good, but not as unique or exceptional as the fish. The vegetarian platter was steller, with quite a variety including my favorites - the collards and carrots & potatoes. When I go back, I'll be lobbying whoever goes with me to share the fish and the veggie platter.

3086 Briarcliff Road
Atlanta, GA 30329
404-929-0011



Desta on Urbanspoon

0 Comments: