Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Homemade Pizza and Blueberry Cake too!



Yours truly tossing the whole wheat crust.

Friday evening I was invited to dine with friends at their place. We made our own pizzas, which was fun as well as delicious. We also had a healthy and tasty salad to start. For dessert I made and brought blueberry upside down cake, a recipe I procured from Rebecca over at Foodie With Family. Although her recipe calls for cranberries, she also mentions that blueberries are a good substitute. I used a frozen bag from Trader Joes, which made 2 cakes (I doubled the recipe). I also added a smidgeon of cardamom instead of the nutmeg. This cake is easy and delicious! You simply must try it. I am thinking about using other fruits with this also - pitted cherries or other berries would work great. I think apples might be good too but Rebecca suggested cooking them first before arranging them in the pan. We had a great time cooking and eating this homemade meal and we even talked about blogging. Dawn has started her own blog about books - her goal is to read a book a week. Catch up with her progress and read along here.



Spinach salad with cranberries, walnuts & cheese.



Various toppings ready to be applied to the dough.



All done! We did 1/2 with tomato sauce, olives, red peppers, mushrooms and spinach, 1/4 with pesto, mozzarella and fresh tomatoes and 1/4 with red pepper puree, broccoli and spicy turkey sausage.



Blueberry upside down cake.



Blueberry cake, heated and served with vanilla ice cream.

2 Comments:

dm said...

I have to add an enthusiastic thumbs up, Amy, for that blueberry upside down cake!! It was delicious with a cup of tea for breakfast, too. Thanks for leaving the extra slices. I am headed over to find to Rebecca's page for the recipe right now.

amy said...

it all looks fantastic!! and, what a fun idea for an evening with friends!