Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Homemade Individual Strawberry Shortcakes

Over the weekend I had the urge to make strawberry shortcake for my family while they were in town. I perused several recipes and cookbooks before choosing to bake homemade cream scones to go with the homemade whipped cream and sliced strawberries tossed in sugar that I believe make strawberry shortcake truly delicious. I toyed with making biscuits instead - and as anti-boxed-mix as I am, Bisquick actually makes very tasty biscuits for shortcake. Still, I'm glad I tried this scone recipe. The best thing about these scones is that they are very easy and quick to make because you substitute heavy cream for the butter and egg. While I believe a traditional scone made with butter may have a slight advantage taste-wise to the cream scone, these were pretty darn good. These would be great with a few chocolate chips or dried berries mixed in. Here is the recipe from "Joy of Cooking."

Cream Scones
Preheat oven to 425
Mix the following:
2 c. all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Add in:
1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

Stir until moistened. Knead a few times in the bowl and gather the dough into a ball. Transfer to cookie sheet or stone or granite/stone countertop. Pat the dough into an 8 inch round about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Transfer to cookie sheet or stone if not done already.

Sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon (if desired) and pop into the oven. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown.



Hot cream scones fresh from the oven.



The finished product.

0 Comments: